Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mind Maps Blog - Connectivism

I posted to Jennifer Robinson:  http://www.jenniferbethrobinson.blogspot.com 

How has your network changed the way you learn?

Due to the rapid emergent of social tools (blogs, podcasts, video logs, wiki, and webcconferencing) that permit rapid exchange of knowledge in shared spaces, my network has totally revamp how I learn.   Network learning provides three levels that can be tapped into: neural (artificial intelligence) allow real time interaction and content delivery.  The second level (schema theory or schematic structures) permits ideals to be conceptually connected, and the third level, social knowledge--allows connections to data, information sources and other people.

This networked learning allows me to create networks where I can connect to, form information and knowledge sources in collaborative efforts.  

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

Social software (wiki, blogs, ecollege, weblogs, computers, skype, webconferencing) are tools that allow me to connect with others to share ideas and to collaborate.   Network learning is comprised of a network which feeds into organizations and institutions, which in turns feed back into the network, and then continue to provide learning to individual.  This cycle of knowledge development allows learners to use digital tools to remain current in their field through the connection they have formed (Siemens, 2004).

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?

I use my social knowledge and learning network to connect to informational resources, learning communities, instructors, and other people that forms my network to gain better understanding.  Sometimes, I join chat groups via Skype, and other times, Google Docs for clarity on class projects.

Reference

Siemens, G. (2006). Knowing Knowledge. Copyright 2006 by George Siemens. Used by permission.

Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I agree with you. Learning networks allow up to access information at a very rapid rate. People also make decisions, “through the lens of a shifting reality” (Siemens, 2006, p. 31). I find interesting that decisions I make one day may change. This may be due to new information that may change. Social networking allows us to exchange ideas. Digital social networking allows us to gain different perspectives.

    I did enjoy viewing your mindmap and then reading your caption on social networking. Social networking does feed the institution and ends with learning for the individual.

    Vaughn

    Reference:
    Siemens, G. (2006). Knowing knowledge. Retrieved from http://www.Lulu.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    The internet has completely changed the way we learn. We went from sitting in classrooms and taking notes to logging in at home and skypeing with a colleague. It is amazing how much education has advanced. I too use my networks to learn new things as well as google. I google everything!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete