http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
In response to Kerr’s question about ism: I believe isms are useful guides that help us strategize solutions, develop hypotheses from observed phenomena, and construct learning theories, which can be used as creative building blocks. Isms can also blind one’s way of thinking and cloud one’s ability to see beyond the cloud burst. When we research history, we find legacies of theorists (Ebbinghaus, Thorndike, Dewey, Pavlov, and Piaget) who laid the foundation for further exploration into isms, such as behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism, and empiricism, to name a few.
Labels: learning theory, theorists, cognitivism
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
Reference:
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction. Chapter 1, Introductions.
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction. Chapter 1, Introductions.
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI find that when I think of myself as a teacher, these theories do not often enter my mind. I feel like I try to get to know each of my students and do what I feel is best for him/her. I am not sure that any one of these theories would describe my teaching. I agree with your statement that -isms are useful guides which can be used as building blocks.
Jennifer
Hello Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI concur, Isms can also blind one’s way of thinking and cloud one’s ability to see beyond the surface of issues in education. We need to make sure to remain critical in our thinking and not readily accept all theories, unless of course, there is sufficient evidence to form such conclusions. What is wrong with plain everyday common sense thinking? Everyday thinking is actually “sensible and effective” when dealing with practical problems (Rogoff, 1984, p. 7). I personally like the notion that Piaget presented that besides physical knowledge and logical mathematical knowledge, there was a third type of knowledge: Social knowledge. Social knowledge can be learned only from other people within one’s cultural group (Driscoll, 2005, p. 193).
I see everyday common sense as related to social knowledge in which people we interact with are our source of information. Driscoll gave an example of a nurse waking up patients from their deep sleep to give them sleep medication, which is connected to the idea that traditional teaching practices had caused the inability of students to use what they know in relevant situations (Driscoll, 2005. P. 161). What are your thoughts on this? How do we as educators ensure that students use what they know appropriately? What cause plain folks (and of course experts) to at times have less difficulty solving complex problems than students/novices?
References
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Rogoff, H.L., III (1984). Introduction: Thinking and learning in social context. In B. Rogoff & J. Lave (Eds.), Everyday cognition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I totally agree with the statement that follows: "Isms can also blind one’s way of thinking and cloud one’s ability to see beyond the cloud burst." If we put ourselves in a box and only see our way of thinking, then we may very well miss out on an abundance of learning opportunities. I think about this especially with technology. A lot of the older teachers in my district are adament about not using technology in the classroom. Students must "unplug." However, after doing a few surveys for another class, I found out that they weren't against technology, but were instead scared to death of it and afraid to let the kids see that they knew more than them. They were afraid of losing control. I found that highly interesting because I have always been the opposite. I ask kids all the time to show me stuff. Thus, when thinking of learning theories, I like to think of it as a little of this and a little of that works best!
Great job!