Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Metaphors of Educators

 The role of the educator and the process of teaching have undergone vast changes as we entered the 21st century.  Teaching and learning is no longer confined to the classroom where all the knowledge is funnelled through the teacher.  Siemens (2008) examined the pros and cons of guided instruction versus minimal guidance, or instructivism versus constructivism.  Technology and integrative curriculum have provided significant access to learners  ability to gain to knowledge. Some educators (Seely Brown, 2006; Fisher, n.d.; and Bonks, 2007), suggested that the role of educator has become more like that of  a master artist, network administrator, concierge or curator.

 As I studied Siemens discourse on the metaphor models, I was torn between the educator as concierge or curator, both are very interesting and appropriate models. The concierge is very resourceful, typically have knowledge of untapped resources and learning opportunities that others may overlook.  The concierge takes great delight in providing tours or tour guides for places such as the internet, pointing learners toward designed programs of study.  On the other hand, the curator serves both as an expert with advanced knowledge and as a guides who fosters and encourages learner exploration.  The curator exposes learners to critical ideas, concepts, and research within a field while the learner is engaged with the subject matter..

6 comments:

  1. Sarah
    I like your analogies of curator vs concierge. With technology being a new way of teaching and learning it is bound to change the way theory is applied. I like the individualized approach, and while I do not yet understand connectivism, it might be the one that applies most to online instruction.

    Cheers
    Linda H

    ReplyDelete
  2. The metaphors of educators depict the role of teachers in the 21st century. Teachers are becoming facilitators, and students are getting an active role in the learning process. As educators, we need to create authentic learning activities and lessons that students can integrate technology and gain social skills, so that they are building a solid foundation for their academic, professional, and personal lives.
    This is the first time that I came across with the metaphors of educators, but I read and hear that a teacher is a facilitator. What do you think about this metaphor?

    EDUC-8845-1 Andres Anzaldua

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andres, thanks for sharing...to your question, Educators, whether seen as curator, concierge, master artists, network administrators, or facilitators, have to reframe how they interact with students in this technology age. Our pre-Kindergarteners born into the digital age come to school computer savvy, ready to explore the universe. Siemens (2008) suggested, that knowledge is seen as existing in networks and learning as forming and navigating these networks, then the educators role shifts to helping students gain access to these networks and understanding of the information, tools, and educational resources. My grandson has been on the computer since the age of three, at 5 1/2 he uses the computer and the whiteboard in the classroom much like we did pencil and paper exercises.

    Thanks

    Sarah Dillahunt EDUC-8845-1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one torn between concierge and curator. I read the analysis several time before I settled on curator. But I still feel that instructors also have many of the characteristics of a concierge.

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabitha,

    They both do have many of the same characteristics and most importantly the attributes necessary for helping learners to navigate chartered and unchartered courses without falling prey to the pitfalls. In my travels I often consult with the concierge about places to visit that are not the traditional tourist spots, but yet safe, so far I have been well pleased with their recommendations. Educators' roles in this digital age is still that of providing guided instructions, the focus however has changed from pencil and paper to the integrated technology curriculum.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted to Vaughn Bradley and Toni Duke's blog.

    ReplyDelete